The experts say ( I am not one) that female vocalizations can draw Coyotes to your set up in January/February. I have given that a try and mix it with Coyote locator vocals and prey distress calls but it does not happen every time.
Use of electronic calls are very effective as is having some decoy movement as in a motorized battery operated device. Get your NH 2018 Hunting License on-line and go for it.
I found solid advice here at this website: https://allpredatorcalls.com/coyote-hunting-101/
Most popular gun used is the AR-15 in .223 during the day. I called NH Fish and Game today. It IS legal to hunt Coyote with more than 5 rounds in your center-fire clip (e.g. .223 rounds) after deer season only in daylight hours in New Hampshire. If you have questions for F&G please call.
From the F&G site: “Here’s how to contact your local Conservation Officer (CO): call Fish and Game’s Dispatch Office at (603) 271-3361. From December through September, the line is open Monday through Friday, from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (closed from noon until 1:00 p.m.); Saturday and Sunday, 7:00 a.m. until 7:00 p.m. The Dispatcher can relay a message to your local Conservation Officer.”
It is also legal to hunt in southern NH areas with center fire rifle in those Deer season shotgun towns in daylight after deer season.
NHFG site 2018 says;
- No closed season.
- Night Hunting: Coyotes may be hunted at night from Jan. 1 through March 31. Lights may be used, except from a motor vehicle, snowmobile, or OHRV. Coyote night hunters are restricted to shotguns, .22 caliber rimfire, muzzleloaders, or archery equipment in those towns with special rules.
- Electronic calling devices are legal.
- Written landowner permission, filed with the local conservation officer, is required to hunt coyote at night or to place bait for coyotes.
- Baiting is not permitted on ice-covered public waters.
- From the close of the bear baiting season through December 15, baiting for coyote will be restricted to the use of meat, animal parts, carrion, or fish only.
Good Hunting! Send any Photos to us and we will post!